This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn commission from qualifying purchases.
Are you searching for a unique name for your baby? A name that has a beautiful sound and memorable meaning? Look no further than names like Melton! In this article, we will explore boy names, girl names, unisex names, and even names in other languages that share similarities with Melton. Let’s dive in!
Boy Names Like Melton
If you are looking for a strong, masculine name, Melton is a great choice. But perhaps you are looking for something similar, yet different. Some ideas include:
- Milton: Similar in sound and origin to Melton, Milton means “settlement by the mill.” This name has a classic feel, and has been used for centuries.
- Elton: With its common -ton ending, Elton is a great alternative to Melton. It means “old town” and has a strong, regal feel.
- Colton: Also ending in -ton, Colton is a popular boy’s name meaning “coal town.” It has a modern, edgy vibe and is a great choice for parents who want a trendy name.
Another option for a name similar to Melton is Dalton. This name means “valley town” and has a strong, rugged feel. It’s a great choice for parents who want a name that sounds tough and masculine.
If you’re looking for a name that has a similar meaning to Melton, you might consider the name Garrett. This name means “brave with a spear” and has a strong, heroic feel. It’s a great choice for parents who want a name that conveys strength and courage.
Girl Names Like Melton
While Melton is generally considered a boy’s name, that doesn’t mean it can’t be used for girls! However, if you are looking for names with a similar sound and feel that are a bit more feminine, here are some ideas:
- Melanie: This classic name is a feminine form of Melton and means “black, dark.” It has a similar sound and origin, but with a more traditionally feminine feel.
- Elmira: If you like the “el” sound in Melton but want something more unique, consider Elmira. It means “noble, famous,” and has a charming, underused feel.
- Shelton: Like Melton, Shelton has a -ton ending and means “town on a ledge.” It’s a unisex name, but is more commonly used for girls and has a cute, spunky feel.
Here are two more options to consider:
- Melinda: This name has a similar sound to Melton, but with a more feminine ending. It means “sweet” or “gentle” and has a classic, timeless feel.
- Ellison: If you like the “el” sound in Melton but want something more modern, Ellison is a great option. It means “son of Ellis” and has a strong, confident feel.
Unisex Names Like Melton
If you are looking for a name that works well for any gender, these names are similar in sound and origin to Melton:
- Ashton: With its -ton ending and strong “t” sound, Ashton is a great unisex name. It means “ash tree town” and has a modern, edgy feel.
- Ellison: This name has a charming, friendly feel and means “son of Ellis.” It’s a great option for parents who want something unique and gender-neutral.
- Madden: Similar in sound to Melton, Madden means “little dog.” It has a cute, playful feel and works well for boys or girls.
Another great unisex name that is similar in sound to Melton is Avery. It has a strong “v” sound and means “ruler of the elves.” Avery has been gaining popularity in recent years and is a great option for parents who want a name that is both classic and modern.
Unique Names Like Melton
If you want something truly one-of-a-kind, these names are similar to Melton but are less common:
- Wilton: This name means “willow town” and has a poetic, nature-inspired feel.
- Alston: Similar in sound to Melton, Alston means “elf stone.” It’s a great option for parents who want a name that’s a bit more unusual.
- Belton: With its -ton ending and meaning “beautiful town,” Belton is a name that is both unique and meaningful.
When choosing a name for your child, it’s important to consider the meaning behind it. Melton, for example, means “mill town.” If you’re looking for a name with a similar meaning, you might consider the name Milford, which means “mill by the ford.” This name has a classic, timeless feel and is a great option for parents who want a name that’s both unique and meaningful.
Long Names Like Melton
If you like the idea of longer names, these options are similar to Melton and have several syllables:
- Remington: This name has a similar ending and means “place on a riverbank.” It has a strong, regal feel and is perfect for parents who want a longer name with a similar sound to Melton.
- Hamilton: With its -ton ending, Hamilton means “crooked hill.” It’s a classic name that has been popular for centuries.
- Wellington: Similar in sound and ending to Melton, Wellington means “wealthy estate.” It’s a great choice for parents who want a name that is both sophisticated and unique.
When choosing a longer name like Melton, it’s important to consider potential nicknames. Melton can easily be shortened to Mel, which is a popular nickname. Similarly, Remington can be shortened to Remy, Hamilton to Ham, and Wellington to Wells. Keep in mind that your child may prefer to go by a nickname, so choose a longer name that has a nickname you also like.
Short Names Like Melton
If you prefer shorter names, these options are similar in sound and feel to Melton:
- Nolan: With its strong “n” sound and -lan ending, Nolan is a short name with a lot of personality. It means “champion” or “noble.”
- Orion: This name has a similar ending and has a celestial feel. It means “son of fire” and has a strong, bold sound.
- Benton: With its -ton ending, Benton means “settlement in the bent grass.” It’s a short, snappy name that works well for boys or girls.
Another option for a short name similar to Melton is the name Jaxon. Jaxon is a modern twist on the classic name Jackson, and it has a similar sound and feel to Melton. It means “son of Jack” and has been rising in popularity in recent years.
Melton in Other Languages
If you are interested in names in other languages that share similarities with Melton, here are some options:
- Matan: This Hebrew name means “gift” or “reward” and has a similar sound and feel to Melton.
- Melchior: A name of Persian origin, Melchior means “king” and has a regal, majestic feel.
- Miloš: This Slavic name means “loving” or “pleasant” and has a similar sound and rhythm to Melton.
It is interesting to note that the name Melton has a strong association with the town of Melton Mowbray in Leicestershire, England. The town is famous for its pork pies and stilton cheese, and the name Melton has become synonymous with these culinary delights.
In addition, Melton is also a surname that has been adopted by many families around the world. The name has been traced back to England, where it was first recorded in the Domesday Book in 1086. Today, there are many people with the surname Melton living in the United States, Canada, Australia, and other countries.
Where did the Name Melton Come From?
While Melton is a name with a strong, unique sound, its origin is fairly simple: it’s a place name in England. Melton Mowbray is a market town in Leicestershire, and the name likely means “settlement on the hill.” While the name Melton has been used as a surname for generations, it has only recently gained popularity as a first name.
In conclusion, if you are looking for a name like Melton, you have plenty of options! From classic names like Milton and Melanie to unique names like Alston and Belton, there are names that share a similar sound, origin, or feel. Whether you want a name for a boy, girl, or both, you are sure to find something that fits your style and personality. Good luck with your search!
Interestingly, Melton Mowbray is also known for its famous pork pies, which have been made in the town for over 200 years. The pies are made with a unique combination of uncured pork and a hot water crust pastry, and are a popular delicacy in the UK. So not only does the name Melton have a rich history, but it is also associated with a delicious food tradition!