Rooms are spaces for certain people and purposes. Small rooms confine less people for tight-knit activities while large rooms gather crowds for agreed upon pursuits. Give yourself room for improvement when you use the slang terms below for room.
Slang Words for Room (in Alphabetical Order)
- (Noun) One or two double-decker beds placed inside a room.
- Example: Eric went to his bunk to avoid the noisy party.
- (Noun) A small room with not much space.
- Example: The spices and condiments are stored in the cubbyhole.
- (Noun) The shortened slang for “dormitory”. Dorms are the rooms where stay-in students live.
- Example: Elise finds it convenient that her dorm is close to the restrooms.
- (Noun) Enough space for people to move in.
- Example: The music festival venue barely had enough elbow room.
Get a Room
- (Expression) A humorous comment on people who are showing too much affection with each other.
Person 1: I love you.
Person 2: I love you, too.
Person 3: Why don’t you two get a room?
- (Noun) A slang for a room, apartment, or house which was first used in the 20th century.
- Example: Henry’s bachelor pad was a newly furnished condo unit with an indoor swimming pool.
- (Noun) A memorization technique that constructs rooms in one’s mind to store information.
- Example: Rhian chose a room in her mind palace to fill with textbook information for tomorrow’s test.
- (Noun) Another word for room that gives a nod to a sense of privacy.
- Example: Sunny doesn’t like to study in her personal space since she can easily sleep in there.
- (Adjective) Based on the amount paid to rent a single room in the old days, quarters is another word for room.
- Example: Jamie’s quarters has a better view of the city.
- (Noun) A shortened form of “roommate”, a roomie is a person you share the living room and rent with.
- Example: It’s a good thing Carson finds Minnie an agreeable roomie.
- (Noun) An Australian slang for a leisure room.
- Example: Jun, Koko, and Matt spend the afternoon playing video games in the rumpus room.
- (Noun) A person’s private room for their interests.
- Example: Finn used the basement as his sanctum whenever he studied for a math competition.
- (Noun) A Jewish outdoor makeshift room for a week’s worth of religious festival.
- Example: Howie and Bernie stayed on a hillside sukkah.
- (Noun) A slang for one’s space or room and has a territorial connotation.
- Example: Heather and Jennifer share the same room. Heather has an all pink turf while Jennifer’s side of the room is all black.
- (Noun) A hospital room.
- Example: The family wanted to transfer their patient to a private ward but all of those rooms are full.