Although Spanish and English are two different languages, they have words that are spelled, pronounced, and mean the same. We gathered the top 20 words that are the same in English and Spanish, so let’s learn about them today!
Words That Are The Same in English and Spanish (in Alphabetical Order)
- (Noun) An actor is a person who portrays a character in theatre and film.
- Example: Quiero ser actor de Hollywood.
- English: I want to be a Hollywood actor.
- (Noun) An area is a particular region in a given location.
- Example: ¿Encontraré la tienda de segunda mano en esta área?
- English: Will I find the thrift store in this area?
- (Noun) A canal is a man-made passageway filled with water to give boats a way inland. It also serves as an irrigation system for crops.
- Example: ¿Viste el canal recién construido?
- English: Did you see the newly built canal?
- (Noun) A capital is the center or the most important city in a country.
- Example: Visitemos la ciudad capital de este país.
- English: Let’s visit the capital city of this country.
- (Noun) The word “central” is an important place where a specific group of people goes.
- Example: Habrá una fiesta en Central esta noche y estamos invitados.
- English: There will be a party in Central this evening, and we’re invited.
- (Noun) A doctor is a trained professional who diagnoses and cures sickness.
- Example: El doctor llegará en unos minutos.
- English: The doctor will arrive in a few minutes.
- (Noun) An error is a mistake made because of a misconception.
- Example: Mi programa tiene un error, así que necesito más tiempo para solucionarlo.
- English: My program has an error, so I need more time to fix it.
- (Adjective) Formal means that something is according to the rules. It also means that something is duly recognized.
- Example: Esta es nuestra forma formal de decir que nos vamos a casar.
- English: This is our formal way of saying that we’re getting married.
- (Noun) A gala is a party or a social association with entertainment, food, and drinks.
- Example: ¿Podrás asistir a la gala la próxima semana?
- English: Will you be able to attend the gala next week?
- (Noun) Horror is the feeling of shock or fear. It is also a movie genre that revolves around haunted places, ghosts, and monsters.
- Example: ¡Fue un horror ver el accidente!
- English: It was a horror to watch the accident!
- (Noun) An idea is a suggestion to a plan that’s about to happen.
- Tengo una idea para el tema de la fiesta.
- English: I have an idea for the party’s theme.
- (Adjective) Something is legal when the law permits it.
- Example: ¿Es legal salir tan tarde?
- English: Is it even legal to go out this late?
- (Noun) A manual is a book or piece of paper filled with instructions on building or using a specific thing.
- Example: ¿Dónde puse el manual de la televisión?
- English: Where did I put the manual for the television?
- (Adjective) Mediocre means something is ordinary or not of good quality.
- Example: Este bolso es mediocre. Podrías haber conseguido uno mejor.
- English: This bag is mediocre. You could’ve gotten a better one.
- (Adjective) The word “normal” means typical or average.
- Example: Este es solo un día normal aquí en el campo.
- English: This is just a normal day here in the countryside.
- (Noun/Adjective) An original is something that was present from the beginning and is a model for newer versions.
- Example: Este es el manuscrito original. Los de afuera son solo copias.
- English: This is the original manuscript. The ones outside are just copies.
- (Noun) “Patio” was originally a Spanish word that means “courtyard.” Then, the English language used the word as is.
- Example: Esta casa tiene un gran patio, ideal para reuniones familiares.
- English: This house has a big patio, perfect for family gatherings.
- (Noun) A plaza is a public square where people gather and buy goods. It also means marketplace.
- Example: Encontrémonos en la plaza esta noche.
- English: Let’s meet at the plaza tonight.
- (Adjective) A sentimental person is someone who has tender feelings about past events.
- Example: Nunca supe que eras sentimental.
- English: I never knew you were sentimental.
- (Adjective) A vulnerable person is weak to physical, emotional, and mental attacks.
- Example: Por favor, comprenda que mi hijo es vulnerable en este momento.
- English: Please understand that my son is vulnerable at the moment.