This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn commission from qualifying purchases.
Are you looking for a unique and interesting name like Wilma? Whether you’re expecting a baby girl, a baby boy, or want a unisex name for your little one, we’ve got you covered. Here are some great names like Wilma to consider:
Boy Names Like Wilma
If you want a name that’s similar to Wilma but is more suitable for a boy, you might like:
- Wilmer: With a meaning of “famous”, Wilmer is a great alternative to Wilma for a baby boy.
- Gilbert: A name of German origin, Gilbert means “bright pledge”. It’s a classic yet timeless name that would be perfect for a little boy.
- Elmer: If you like names that begin with “El”, Elmer might interest you. This name means “noble” and is fitting for a baby boy who you hope will grow up to be honorable.
Another name that you might consider for a baby boy is William. Although it’s a more common name, it has a similar sound to Wilma and also has a meaning of “resolute protector”. It’s a strong and classic name that has been popular for centuries.
Girl Names Like Wilma
Wilma is a beautiful name for a baby girl, and if you’re looking for something similar, take a look at these names:
- Willa: This name is a perfect replacement for Wilma, especially if you like names that are simple yet elegant. Willa means “will” or “determination” and is a great name for a baby girl who you hope will be strong and determined in life.
- Thelma: With a meaning of “will, volition”, Thelma is a classic yet underused name that would be perfect for a baby girl. This name is of Greek origin and was popular in the early 1900s. It’s a name that’s due for a comeback!
- Velma: If you like unique and charming names, Velma might be the right choice for you. It means “willful” and is a great alternative to Wilma for a baby girl.
If you’re looking for a name that has a similar sound to Wilma, you might consider the name Alma. Alma is a Spanish name that means “soul” or “spirit”. It’s a beautiful and unique name that would be perfect for a baby girl.
Unisex Names Like Wilma
If you want a unisex name that’s similar to Wilma, you might like these options:
- Wynn: A name of Welsh origin, Wynn means “fair” or “blessed”. It’s a soft and gentle name that’s perfect for either a baby girl or boy.
- Whit: This unisex name is short and sweet. It means “white” and is a great alternative to Wilma if you’re looking for something gender-neutral.
- Willow: Although typically thought of as a girls’ name, Willow can also be used for boys. This name has a meaning of “slender” and “graceful”, making it a popular choice for parents who want a nature-inspired name.
Another option for a unisex name similar to Wilma is the name Wynne. This name is of Welsh origin and means “fair” or “white”. It’s a great choice for parents who want a name that’s simple and easy to pronounce.
If you’re looking for a name that’s a bit more unique, you might consider the name Winslow. This name has a meaning of “friend’s hill” and is of English origin. It’s a great choice for parents who want a name that’s both gender-neutral and has a bit of history behind it.
Unique Names Like Wilma
If you’re looking for a name that’s truly one-of-a-kind, try one of these unique names:
- Winslow: With a meaning of “hill with a victory sign”, Winslow is a quirky yet charming name that’s perfect for a baby girl or boy.
- Waldo: This name of German origin means “ruler” or “powerful one”. It’s a name that’s unique but still has a strong meaning behind it.
- Wisteria: This flower-inspired name is perfect for parents who love nature. Wisteria has a meaning of “welcoming” and “nesting”, making it a great name for a baby girl.
Another unique name to consider is Xanthe, which means “yellow” in Greek. It’s a name that’s both unusual and beautiful, and it’s perfect for parents who want a name that’s easy to pronounce but still unique.
If you’re looking for a name that’s inspired by mythology, consider the name Persephone. In Greek mythology, Persephone was the goddess of spring and the queen of the underworld. The name has a beautiful sound and a rich history, making it a great choice for parents who want a name that’s both unique and meaningful.
Long Names Like Wilma
If you prefer names with multiple syllables, take a look at these long names like Wilma:
- Wilhelmina: This name is a grand and regal choice that would be perfect for a baby girl. Wilhelmina means “strong-willed warrior” and is sure to make a statement.
- Guilford: A name of English origin, Guilford means “ford of the yellow flowers” and is a great name for a baby boy who you hope will appreciate the beauty of nature.
- Elmira: If you like names that begin with “El”, Elmira might interest you. This name means “noble” or “famous” and is a great option for a baby girl.
It’s important to remember that when choosing a name for your baby, you should consider the meaning behind the name. Some parents choose names based on family traditions or cultural significance. Others may choose names based on personal preferences or unique qualities they hope their child will possess. Whatever your reason for choosing a name, make sure it’s a name that you and your child will love for years to come.
Short Names Like Wilma
If you prefer names that are short and sweet, try one of these options:
- Wil: This one-syllable name is a great alternative to Wilma. It’s simple, easy to spell, and has a charming sound to it.
- Gil: Short for Gilbert, Gil is a simple and classic name that’s perfect for a baby boy. It’s easy to pronounce and has a timeless feel to it.
- Elle: This one-syllable name is a popular choice for baby girls. It’s simple, elegant, and has a meaning of “she” or “her”.
Short names are not only easy to remember, but they also have a certain charm to them. Here are two more options to consider:
- Max: This three-letter name is a popular choice for baby boys. It’s short, simple, and has a strong sound to it.
- Liv: Short for Olivia, Liv is a cute and spunky name for a baby girl. It’s easy to pronounce and has a modern feel to it.
When choosing a short name, it’s important to consider how it sounds with your last name. You want to make sure the name flows well and doesn’t sound awkward or choppy.
Another thing to keep in mind is that short names can sometimes be mistaken for nicknames. If you want to avoid this, consider choosing a longer name and using a short version as a nickname instead.
Wilma in Other Languages
Wilma is a name that has variations in different languages. Here are some alternative spellings and pronunciations:
- Wilma (English)
- Vilma (Swedish)
- Vilhelmina (Finnish)
- Gilma (Spanish)
- Guillem (Catalan)
In addition to these variations, Wilma is also a popular name in Germany, where it is spelled as “Wilhelma”. It is derived from the Germanic name “Wilhelm”, which means “will” and “helmet”. The name has been used since the 19th century and is still commonly used today.
Where did the Name Wilma Come From?
Wilma is a name of German origin. It’s a feminine form of the name Wilhelm, which means “will, desire” and “helmet, protection”. Wilma became a popular name in the early 20th century, and although it’s not as common today, it still has a charming and timeless quality to it.
In conclusion, there are many names like Wilma that you can consider for your baby. Whether you prefer short and sweet names or longer names with multiple syllables, there’s a name out there that’s perfect for your little one. Consider the options above and find a name that resonates with you and your family for a lifetime of memories.
Interestingly, Wilma was also the name of a beloved character in the popular animated TV show, The Flintstones. Wilma Flintstone was the wife of the main character, Fred Flintstone, and was known for her kind heart and sharp wit. The show aired from 1960 to 1966 and has since become a cultural icon, making the name Wilma even more recognizable and endearing to many.