Your brain is the most important part of your body. It is responsible for your consciousness, thinking, and control. By definition you are your brain and everything else is just meant to sustain it. Isn’t that amazing? What’s more is that there are many slang words for brain or brain-related stuff.
This list contains slang words related to the brain. Enjoy reading and we hope it will help you and satisfy your fascination with this amazing human organ.
Slang Words for Brain (in Alphabetical Order)
- (Noun) An ancient slang word for brains formerly used extensively in the UK and US. It may sometimes be offensive.
- Example: Use your bean! This question is literally the easiest in this quiz.
- (Noun) The top part of the bell tower where the bell is placed. This slang is used interchangeably to refer to the brain, head, and the mind.
- Example: My belfry is bleeding. I crammed all homework last night.
- (Adjective) Since birds are perceived as stupid, bird-brain implies that someone is stupid, clumsy, or has a brain comparable to that of a bird.
- Example: Jackie is one big bird-brain. I've explained that formula many times to him but he still doesn't get it.
- (Noun) Gray matter is a component of the brain and is often used to refer to it.
- Example: I wish I had some working gray matter. I really can’t wrap my head around the situation.
Having One's Bell Rung
- (Expression) A slang term or phrase referring to a brain concussion or some other brain injury.
- Example: Just after dunking, James had his bell rung because of a mislanding. Hope he gets better.
- (Adjective) Someone with a stupid or lame brain.
- Example: Michael is one lucky huddy. He got rich and got hitched real fast despite failing high school.
- (Adjective) Refers to when someone’s brain might not be working right or has some issues.
- Example: Danny has a few loose screws but he is generally harmless. He acts like a seven-year old.
- (Noun) A New York Slang with Asian origins that refers to the brain or head.
- Example: Get it through your matta, my boy. You have to stay off the streets because you will get hurt.
- (Noun) This slang originally referred to a small mug or cup but by the late 19th century, it became used for brains in American English.
- Example: My noggin is hurting from all the studying that we had to do just to pass one exam.
- (Noun) Originally, noodle used to refer to someone with a silly personality or mind but it evolved and is now used to refer to the brain or mind.
- Example: I got my dad’s noodle. Too bad he wasn’t really smart but he had his good qualities.
- (Expression) This slang phrase refers to having one’s brain or head empty. In simpler terms, that someone is stupid or silly.
- Example: After that one date, I decided against seeing her again. She has nothing upstairs, to be honest.
- (Noun) A British slang for one’s brain.
- Example: Your nut must be missing because you have been clumsy and stupid all day long.
- (Adjective) A British slang word for someone with an eccentric or downright stupid brain.
- Example: Louie is a crazy nutter. He talks to his furniture as if they were living things.
- (Noun) Pate usually points to the crown or top of one’s head but it can also refer to the brain in a casual conversation.
- Example: Einstein’s pate was stolen by his mortician. He sent it to an organization to study it.
- (Adjective) Having a smooth brain means that someone has a dysfunctional or stupid brain. A smoothie is someone with a smooth brain.
- (Noun) This slang word refers to a brain that's been burned out or completely used up to a point that it can no longer function well.
- Example: Today's not a good time to talk. I pulled an all-nighter and now I'm soup brain
- (Noun) Since the brain is used for thinking, it is also sometimes called the thinker, often in England.
- Example: Young people today don’t know how to use their thinkers. They think they can just google everything.
- (Noun) This phrase references the fact that the brain is one the highest levels of the body. Upper story points to the brain and the body in most cases.
- Example: I can’t feel my upper story after that boring Zoom meeting.
- (Adjective) Vegetable is when a brain is under serious damage and can no longer function properly. They can no longer move and talk like a vegetable.
- Example: Ronald was in a bad accident last winter. He's now a vegetable, lying in bed all day long.
Watch And Chain
- (Noun) It is the Cockney Rhyming slang for brain or brains.
- Example: Sorry, Sir! I got no sleep and my watch and chain is a little too slow.
Isn’t it surprising that there are so many slang words related to the brain that you may not have known. Like we always say, it's important to use these slang words minding the context and the situation. Have fun using them!