Smartphones, cell phones, or phones have become a necessity in the 21st century. The world values being online and staying connected so much that you would be lost without your phone. Because of its ubiquity and importance, there have come to be many slang words for cellphones and here they are.
Slang Words for Cellphone (in Alphabetical Order)
- (Noun) A juvenile slang for the cellphone and telephone that comes from the famous actor and comedian of the same name.
- Example: My grandpa still calls his iphone and ameche even after we've corrected him many times.
- (Noun) A Cockney Rhyming slang for phones, more specifically telephones.
- Example: My grandfather had this blower in the attic. I wonder if it still works.
- (Noun) A phone that is no longer fixable or usable. Essentially, your phone has just become a paperweight.
- Example: My high-end phone turned bricked after I tried hacking it.
- (Noun) An extra cellphone that you can use for usually dubious or shady activities.
- Example: My wife caught me using my burner. I was using it to buy the new PS5.
- (Noun) This slang word for cellphones refers to the buzzing sound they make when they get notifications or an incoming call.
- Example: My buzz is already 5 years old. I should get a replacement soon.
- (Noun) A slang/abbreviation for cellphone.
- Example: Luke’s cell is legit. He got it from his company as a gift for having been working with them for five years.
- (Noun) Another older slang for phones that references the cellular technology they utilized.
- Example: My cellular got stolen while I was shopping. Thankfully, I locked and traced it.
Dog And Bone
- (Noun) The Cockney Rhyming slang for phone, telephone, or cellphone.
- Example: My dog and bone got ruined after getting soaked in the rain.
- (Noun) The opposite of a “smartphone.” The dumbphone prioritizes the essentials of communication and removes all the possible distracting applications.
- Example: Some businessmen like to use dumbphones so that they don’t waste any time on useless apps or notifications.
- (Noun) A slang word coming from the German language. It is often used in science fiction for gadgets used for long-distance communication, usually a cellphone.
- Example: The ship had an accident and lost its farspeakers, so they lost all communication and had to dock without finishing the cruise.
- (Noun) An obsolete slang for phones. It first referred to telephones but was soon used for cellulars. It was used because the older phones used to look like animal horns.
- Example: We were cleaning up the basement and found my parents' old telephones. Those horns are gigantic.
- (Noun) Another urban slang for a cellphone. It could also mean the signal on a phone.
- Example: I forgot to charge my jack before leaving. Can I use the outlet in your car?
- (Noun) This slang sprung up during the early 2010s. Since phones were much more pocketable now, they were now “mobile.” And so they were referred to as such.
- Example: I couldn't really get a decent reception while I was on vacation, so I'm just reading my emails now.
- (Noun) This is the most common type of phone today. A majority of phones today are no longer just for communication. Most of them have the ability to use apps, play games, surf the web, and many more.
- Example: I am satisfied with a smartphone that can connect to the Internet. I don’t need a good camera.