The taste of chocolate is simply divine. Many ancient civilizations considered chocolate to be sacred food only to be consumed for special occasions by important people. Today, the goodness of chocolate is available everywhere for everyone to consume. We just can’t simply get enough of the way it melts and coats our tongues in a sweet, somewhat bitter, and strong taste that lingers indefinitely. To show our love of chocolate, here are some slang words related to chocolate and how to use them.
Slang Words for Chocolate (in Alphabetical Order)
- (Noun) Originating from France, this term is now used for small chocolate candies that have some sort of sweet center.
- Example: Our homemade bonbons have this bitter aftertaste because we didn't follow the recipe exactly.
- (Noun) Cacao refers to the seeds of a tropical American tree that gets turned into chocolate. Most of the time, it is used to refer to the chocolate itself.
- Example: The bakery used top-grade cacao for their donuts.
- (Noun) A person that is obsessed with chocolate or loves to consume chocolate regularly.
- Example: I have high blood pressure and sugar because I am a chocoholic.
- (Noun) When cacao seeds are roasted and processed, it turns into cocoa or chocolate powder. Some people use cocoa to describe actual chocolate.
- Example: Pure cocoa can be really strong because of the caffeine and sugar.
- (Noun) A play on the famous rapper and the famous brand of chocolates since they almost sound the same. Eminem is used as street slang for small colored chocolates.
- Example: I don’t like nuts in my chocolates. I only like the original eminems.
- (Noun) A humorous but gross slang referencing the fact that chocolates could look like feces in color, shape, and texture.
- Example: Stop calling chocolates feces; you're ruining them for me!
- (Noun) Fudge is used for soft or thick liquid chocolate that you may find oozing out of a cake. Fudge is often sweeter than regular chocolate.
- Example: The fudge in the cake was very dry because it was baked for too long.
- (Noun) Chocolate confections, usually fudge or liquid chocolate, that get frozen on a stick. It is a combination of Fudge and Popsicle.
- Example: The fridge broke so all of the fudgesicles had to be eaten or they’d all melt.
- (Noun) Brownies or any other baked chocolate with pot or weed in them.
- Example: It is still illegal in several states to make hash brownies.
- (Noun) Short for hot chocolate, a very famous chocolate drink enjoyed in cold weather.
- Example: I would love some hocho after skiing outside.
- (Noun) This slang is for chocolate-covered almonds. Be aware that this slang is also used for the female’s private area.
- Example: The fancy japooties my Dad brought home from Europe were gone before I even found out about them.
- (Noun) Popularized by the company of the same name in Japan. “Pocky” is used to refer to biscuit sticks covered in chocolate or other chocolate-derived coatings.
- Example: I had fond memories of snacking on some pocky during my elementary days.
- (Noun) A general slang for chocolate or other sweet candies or confections.
- Example: Dark chocolate is the only sweetmeat I wouldn’t touch. It is too bitter.
- (Verb) Similar to the tempering in smithing, this is the process in which chocolate is heated and cooled so that it properly hardens for confections.
- Example: It was so satisfying to watch professional chefs try to temper chocolates on Youtube.
- (Noun) This slang comes from the expensive and exotic fungus used in certain dishes. Truffles are round chocolate confections that have ganache for a center and are coated with powder, sugar, nuts, and many more.
- Example: I would have finished all of the truffles if not for their hefty price.