Whenever we feel down, sad, or just plain unhappy, we often find ourselves somehow running to our mommies. Your mother is someone you can always depend on to care for you no matter what the circumstances are. As a homage to the women who raised and nurtured us with their undying love, we have compiled this list of slang words or phrases for mother.
Slang Words for Mother (in Alphabetical Order)
- (Noun) An urban slang that is often used to describe the mother of your child. Usually, if the father uses this slang, it means that the mother is not in an intimate relationship with him.
- Example: My baby mama and I decided not to continue our relationship but we promised ourselves to be the best parents we could be for our kid.
- (Noun) Comes from the French language and is used for your mother-in-law, stepmother, or foster mother.
- Example: Some say that your belle-mere is your worst enemy but I guess I am very lucky.
- (Noun) A brave and independent single woman who decided to become a mother through adoption or conception.
- Example: Daniela is a woman that I admire. She decided to become a choice mom and help abused kids.
Finger And Thumb
- (Noun) Cockney Rhyming slang for mother.
- Example: My finger and thumb is calling and I get in trouble if I don’t answer quickly.
- (Noun) A versatile Spanish slang that can mean lots of things but it is often used to refer to a “mother.”
- Example: Jake’s madre is one good cook. I like it when he shares his home-cooked lunch with me.
- (Noun) Simply put, mitty is slang for a mother or for the mother of your child.
- Example: Your mitty better be ready to go with you once your name is called for the awards.
- (Noun) A witty slang for your mother-in-law, since she isn’t exactly your mom.
- Example: My mom-ish hates when the kids get dirty but she loves bathing them anyway.
- (Noun) Although this word is now ubiquitous, it's actually a 19th Century slang that came from the abbreviation of the Northern American or English word “momma.”
- Example: My mom dislikes when people mess with her stuff.
- (Noun) A humorous slang for your mother-in-law that exaggerates the common notion that mothers-in-law are terrible.
- Example: Ben’s monster-in-law tends to snub him whenever they meet at the family reunions. However, she loves her granddaughter very much.
- (Noun) Short for “Mother Of Preschoolers.”
- Example: The school called for a meeting with the MOPS to help with the event.
- (Noun) An affectionate slang, common in the US, for one’s grandmother.
- Example: Nana makes these delicious cookies that you have to try.
- (Noun) A stereotypical suburban mother that most of the time takes her kids to sporting events.
- Example: The soccer moms from our school are really competitive as they want their kids to win the games.
- (Noun) A slang coming from the Spanish language that means “mother-in-law.”
- Example: Joseph’s suegra likes hot and spicy foods so your tongue had better be prepared when we get there.
- (Noun) A slang utilized in the Texas regions and it means “mother” or “grandmother.”
- Example: My t-jones is still as strong as an ox. If you don’t push her to stay put, she will get up and work at the farm.
- (Noun) Coined by a Yale professor in 2011, a tiger mom is someone that strictly supervises their kids to make sure that they are on the path to success. This often leads to a lack of freedom.
- Example: I wish that my tiger mom would just relax. One day of goofing off won’t mess with my chances to go to college.