Culture has taught us that we should be with somebody, so being single is dreaded. But there are others who choose to be single, and are doing great. Below are slang words we have gathered for single.
Slang Words for Single (in Alphabetical Order)
Alone but Not Lonely
- (Expression) A modern expression of enjoying singlehood and not longing for romantic relationships.
- Example: Lydia splurges her me-time on crossword puzzles and rubik’s cubes. She does a pretty good job on being alone but not lonely.
- (Adjective) A person who generally dislikes social interactions.
- Example: Bran is worried about going to the wedding because he's antisocial. He sucks at small talk.
- (Noun) A man who is not yet married.
- Example: Rumor has it that a wealthy bachelor will be coming to town.
- (Noun) A person who lives alone and leads a hipster-kind of lifestyle.
- Example: The hermit next door creeps the children every Halloween.
- (Noun) A person who vows to be single until they meet their ideal person or soulmate.
- Example: Stop reading romance books. They will turn you into a hopeless romantic in no time.
- (Noun) A person who does not rely on others.
- Example: James studies, passes, and celebrates exams alone. He is a lone wolf.
- (Noun) A diet fad that stands for “One Meal a Day”.
- Example: Bree hides from her friends that she is doing the OMAD diet.
One and Only
- (Expression) This conveys the uniqueness of singularity.
- Example: The rich businessman spoils his one and only daughter.
- (Noun) A thing or event that skyrockets to popularity once with no follow-up.
- Example: Everyone thought KPop would be a one-hit wonder with “Gangnam Style”. Boy, were they wrong.
Party of One
- (Noun) A one-man show or activity.
- Example: Tristan thought he would be a party of one for the night but then his friends came barging in.
- (Noun) A stubborn person with a temper and love for solitude.
- Example: Peter turns to a rogue elephant when he’s drunk. He shouts too many profanities alone.
Single and Ready to Mingle
- (Expression) A humorous slang expression when a person is ready to get started on a relationship.
- Example: After the divorce, Dorothy is once again single and ready to mingle.
- (Noun) A religious vow of singlehood for life.
- Example: Priests, monks, and nuns promise single blessedness for the rest of their lives.
- (Verb) To exclude from the bunch.
- Example: Harry singled out that restaurant from his blog recommendations because of their bad service.
- (Noun) An unmarried woman without children.This originated from women’s time-consuming occupation of spinning threads.
- Example: The old spinster has a lot of money by herself.