The word “stupid” is such a strong and flexible term that you can use it in a variety of ways. Obviously, you can use it to denote that someone is unintelligent or has a few loose screws. However, you can also use it in playful banter with your friends. Some even go as far as using it as a term of endearment for their loved ones, like for someone who is clumsy but in a cute way.
In this article, you will discover some of the wittiest and bluntest slang words for stupid, mainly for the original meaning of it.
Slang Words for Stupid (in Alphabetical Order)
- (Noun) Comes from the term “Berkeley Hunt.” This British slang is derogatory slang for a stupid or foolish person but it can be used in an endearing manner.
- Example: You might think of yourself as a big berk but I know you have some talent.
BYU or Back Yard University
- (Noun) Contrasting Brigham Young University, this slang references a lack of proper education or proper wits.
- Example: I am a proud BYU alumnus. I don’t have the smarts but I am a good person.
- (Adjective) Another British slang for stupid or dumb.
- Example: He is one daft boy. Hopefully, his tutor will help him.
- (Noun) The Cockney Rhyming slang for someone who is stupid.
- Example: The prime minister is a major donkey.
Eat Paint Chips As A Kid
- (Verb) To be stupid or foolish. Comes from the fact that lead paint could cause a variety of deformities and sicknesses.
- Example: Did you eat paint chips as a kid? No one would do the things you just did.
- (Noun) A US slang for someone who is annoying or stupid.
- Example: Stop being such a jerk! You have a proper brain so use it.
- (Adjective) To be absent-minded or dumb. Refers to the expression “out for lunch.”
- Example: Jacobs is lunching every morning. He can’t be relied on until he gets his coffee.
Numb As A Hake
- (Adjective) Unintelligent, dumb, or insensitive. A hake is a fish and fish are considered to be dumb.
- Example: Trent is really numb as a hake. I mean he is honest but you don’t want to work with him on a project.
- (Noun) Another British slang for a person that is very unintelligent.
- Example: You are the perfect example of a plonker, Ryan. Why would you do that to your girlfriend?!
- (Noun) British slang that means a stupid person.
- Example: Jeremy is a prat for not knowing that Candice loves him.
- (Noun) References the male genitalia. Prick is an offensive term for someone who is aggressive but dumb. However, you may use it as friendly slang.
- Example: Danny is a prick. He did stupid pranks and he expected to get away with it.
Sharp As A Marble
- (Expression) This euphemistic slang phrase plays on the expression “sharp as a tack.” Since marble is smooth and dull, being called such means that you are lacking in the smarts department.
- Example: Raver is as sharp as a marble. He barely got into community college but he managed.
- (Adjective) Someone who is stupid or finds it hard to catch up to things. May also be used for an insensitive person.
- Example: Jake was so slow. He didn’t even realize that he was getting scammed online.
- (Adjective) Similar to slow, this slang may be used for someone who is insensitive or just plain dumb.
- Example: My dog is thick. I can’t teach her any tricks but I love her very much.
- (Noun) Used for a person you think is dull and dumb.
- Example: Quit being such a wally. You’re just acting dumb to avoid the responsibilities.