They are a summer staple. You need them to help protect your eyes from the sun, but also, you need them just to get that fabulous summer look. Sunglasses are probably the best example of when function meets fashion and so we compiled a list of slang words, with their meaning and usage, down below. Enjoy!
Slang Words for Sunglasses (in Alphabetical Order)
- (Noun) Sunglasses are known as aviators, especially the thicker and wider variety, because they are often worn by pilots or aviators to protect their eyes during high-altitude flights with sunlight contact.
- Example: Tom Cruise looks dashing wearing aviators in “Top Gun.”
- (Noun) The Cockney Rhyming slang for sunglasses.
- Example: My dad was duped into buying fake bins abroad.
- (Noun) A specific class of sunglasses, usually worn by females, shaped similar to the eyes of a cat, with a sharp and angular edge.
- Example: My granny likes to wear cateyes for the beach. My granddad used to gift her those when he was still alive.
- (Noun) A Southern Indian and Middle Eastern slang for sunglasses.
- Example: A royalty from Saudi Arabia has a large and expensive collection of cooling glasses.
- (Noun) This slang originates from Scotland and it also refers to sunglasses.
- Example: My glecks got accidentally sat on by my niece. It was okay but they were really pricey.
- (Noun) This slang comes from the reflection of light or “glint” that sunglasses make, especially when you are moving your head.
- Example: Whenever you observe a solar eclipse, be sure to wear some glints to protect the eyes.
- (Noun) This slang for sunglasses comes from the famous manufacturer of sunglasses and the fact that sunglasses use polarizing filters to eliminate light.
- Example: Kylie Jenner looks good in her designer polaroids. It amplifies her facial structure.
- (Noun) A famous and general slang for any sunglasses. Obviously, it refers to the “shade” they provide on our eyes.
- Example: I lost my shades after hurriedly leaving the beach. They were really special to me.
- (Noun) Since sunglasses appear as if they have been smoked or fumed, they are also known as “smoked specs.”
- Example: I love those blue smoked specs you have on. They really go well with your summer tan.
- (Noun) They refer to a specific type of sunglasses that have large lenses and intensified filters.
- Example: Amateur astronomers usually use solar shields to properly look at the sun.
- (Noun) Short for spectacles. This slang is used not only for sunglasses but also for other types of eyewear.
- Example: Golfers wear specs all the time since it is an open and outdoor sport.
- (Noun) The Australian slang for sunglasses. Derivative of spectacles.
- Example: My mate is obsessed with spekkies. He trades them for big chunks of money.
- (Noun) Used during the Hip Hop era of the 90s. It mainly referred to sunglasses with oversized glasses or lenses.
- Example: The rapper performing is a legend and is known for his iconic stunna shades. He would give it to a lucky audience member.
- (Noun) Also used as cheaters. This is an old slang for sunglasses. It was used heavily in the US during the early 1900s.
- Example: Roy Orbison had this air of mystery, which was further highlighted by his thick sun cheaters.
- (Noun) This slang is another popular term for sunglasses, famous in New Zealand and Australia.
- Example: She rocks with her sunnies on. The summer vibe is really her thing.