Smoking tobacco is often portrayed as hip and cool, but it is considered to be the single most detrimental habit to one's health. Despite this, however, it continues to be a big part of many cultures around the world.
We have compiled a list of slang words related to tobacco. Before reading, remember that smoking is dangerous.
Slang Words for Tobacco (in Alphabetical Order)
- (Verb) To give another person some tobacco or cigarette to smoke.
- Example: It’s freezing. Could you ace me one of your cigarettes?
- (Noun) A slang term for cigarettes. Since cigarettes are often white with brown tobacco in them, they look similar to bones.
- Example: These bones are getting more and more expensive because of the aggressive taxing of the government.
- (Noun) The high or sense of elation one experiences with smoking tobacco.
- Example: I absolutely detest smoking. I tried once, and the buzz immediately put me off.
- (Noun) A very blunt slang for cigars and other tobacco products since they are known to be the cause of various cancers.
- Example: My mother would literally slap me if she saw me smoking these cancer sticks.
- (Noun) A hand-rolled cigarette or cigar. A pun on “church” and the char that tobacco produces.
- Example: I gonna throw away all my charch because I’m quitting starting today.
- (Noun) A famous slang for cigarettes, obviously a shortened version of the word.
- Example: Al Capone seemed like the kind of guy to always smoke a cig daily.
- (Noun) A slang referring to the fact that smoking tobacco leads you closer to death because of the harmful side effects.
- Example: You better stop or else that coffin nail is gonna be the death of you!
- (Verb) To chew some tobacco.
- Example: Granddad use to dip back in the day but he quit for my mom after she was born.
- (Noun) A Southern US slang for a cigarette or any tobacco product.
- Example: The joes were all sold out because of the sale at the supermarket.
Load A Fat One
- (Verb) This slang means to place a large wad or chunk of chewing tobacco in one’s mouth.
- Example: Before I hit the road, I’m gonna load me a fat one.
- (Noun) Since tobacco products like cigarettes cause much harm to the lungs and the damage they do is comparable to darts piercing the lungs, they are also referred to as lung darts.
- Example: Lung darts should be banned but the tobacco industry is too big to defeat.
- (Noun) Another slang term for hand-rolled premium cigars or cigarettes.
- Example: The coach of the Boston Celtics used to bring out a rollie whenever they are winning.
- (Noun) A euphemistic slang for cigarettes, cigars, and other tobacco-smoking products.
- Example: My dad and I would enjoy a smokey treat once in a while.
- (Noun) A lengthy but thin tobacco-filled cigar that is often bought for cheap.
- Example: Many premium Cuban cigars are actually counterfeit stogies.
- (Noun) A Russian slang for a tobacco lighter.
- Example: My expensive zazhy got ruined after getting dipped in the pool.