Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, we all know this. But somehow, society has messed us up so much so that we tend to feel entitled to look around and judge who's pretty and who's not. Being called called ugly is extremely damaging to one's self-esteem. Stand up for yourself and others when you hear the following expressions for ugly.
Slang Words for Ugly (in Alphabetical Order)
- (Adjective) A Canadian slang for an unattractive thing or person.
- Example: Doing a pirate-themed party is a beat idea. Just go for an aesthetic blue.
- (Noun) A British slang for a person unattractive enough not to have any friends. This was first introduced from the 90s by UK’s young people at the time.
- Example: If you don't want to be called ‘billy no-mates’, you need to learn how to wear makeup.
- (Noun) An Australian slang for being a complete and unappealing mess.
- Example: Since Christine refused to go out with him, Kyle has been showing up to work like a dog’s breakfast.
- (Noun) A degrading millennial slang that stands for “Designated Ugly Fat Friend”. S/He is the weakest link in the friend circle who is usually approached first by others to get on with the other cool friends.
- Example: Wesley made Bianca realize that she is the duff among the group.
- (Noun) A person bringing ugliness or bad news that hurts one’s eyes.
- Example: The landlady is an eyesore whenever she collects rent before payday.
Face Like a Dropped Pie
- (Expression) An Australian expression that makes use of an image of a mush, dropped pie on the ground to describe a person’s face.
- Example: Luna has been called to have a face like a dropped pie when in fact she is a survivor of a fire that broke out in their house years ago.
- (Noun) A generic term for someone weird/different.
- Example: Because Alice’s mom works as a fortune teller, she’s been called a freak countless times.
- (Adjective) A degrading and modern Australian word that puts “fucking ugly” together.
- Example: She says she's never going to date the band's vocalist no matter how talented he is, he's fugly.
- (Adjective) A British expression for calling something totally unattractive with hints of repulsion. It was originally used to describe foul smells but since the 2000s, it expanded its meaning.
- Example: Brett never thought there could be a more minging dog than the pug till he met the Chinese crested.
- (Adjective) Another Australian lingo for a visually displeasing person, thing, or event.
- Example: The chair was not munted because of its design. It’s because a no-good person sat there earlier.
No Oil Painting
- (Expression) Another British phrase that humorously renders one’s outer look too complex to be drawn.
- Example: The family was looking forward to seeing Tyron’s latest girlfriend when she turned out to be no oil painting.
- (Adjective) An American street slang for being hideously ugly.
- Example: The painting may look plug-ugly to the untrained eye but art experts are in awe of the abstract painting.
- (Noun) The Canadian equivalent of America’s “freak” which is the shortened form of the monster named “Sasquatch”.
- Example: Wendy was a squatch when she wore makeup for the first time. She got everything wrong.
Ugly as Sin
- (Expression) Because sin is biblically referred to as ‘dirty rags’, to be ugly as sin is to be comparable to dirty rags.
- Example: Because Baby Theo spilled milk over it, Maddie’s volcano science project became ugly as sin.
- (Noun) Based on the popular children’s fairytale, an ugly duckling is a person who glowed up so much.
- Example: Ava used to be hunched, overweight, and acne-scarred. Today she’s sexy, flawless, and an accomplished attorney. Now that’s an ugly duckling.