Did you know that zany comes from Italian and French and was used as a “stock” name for clowns? Because of this, zany is a word we use to describe a person who is funny, eccentric, weird, crazy, or maybe even eccentric. Here are some slang words for zany, which we listed down below. Get ready to learn!
Slang Words for Zany (in Alphabetical Order)
- (Adjective) A famous slang word, especially in the 1960s and 70s, for crazy or absurd. The slang probably came to be because it was bent and the term “bent” or “crooked” refers to something mad or evil. It might also reference the wildness of monkeys who love bananas.
- Example: Arthur is just bananas when it comes to his pranks. He will come up with the craziest ideas.
- (Adjective) A British slang word used for something that is insane, odd, strange, or mad. Bats are generally erratic creatures and so the slang “batty” came to be.
- Example: My sisters drive me batty, to be honest. They always pressure me with stuff.
- (Adjective ) Another British slang for insane, strange, or weird. It originates in the 1940s.
- Example: Alfred was pretty bonkers with how he responded to the teachers.
- (Adjective) A slang term that comes from the phrase “certifiably insane.” This is more commonly used for people with definite mental illnesses or problems.
- Example: Jeremy is certifiable. He has been going in and out of mental facilities for over 20 years.
- (Adjective) A street slang that comes from a shorter, sassier, and funnier way of saying “crazy.” It can also be used for funny or weird stuff.
- Example: You are so cray! Nobody would have thought of that idea in a thousand years.
- (Adjective) A slang that combines crazy and drunk. It refers to a person who is weird but extremely fun and exciting.
- Example: Chandler knows how to party. He might be a little crunk but you will surely have the best night of your life.
- (Noun) Someone who is mentally weak or crazy. This slang refers to the monotonous call of birds that don’t stop repeating as if they were insane.
- Example: Don’t call him a “cuckoo!” He is just eccentric and sees things in a different way.
- (Adjective) A slang term for strange or weird. Far out might have been derived when something is so strange that it might have come from aliens, who are far out of this world.
- Example: Whenever I get drunk, I get far out. I would talk about some stupid things.
- (Adjective) Anything that is slightly strange but very interesting. This slang comes from the funk music of the 60s and 70s.
- Example: You are one funky dude.
Have A Screw Loose
- (Verb) This slang phrase strongly suggests that one is weird, odd, or just mental. It is considered euphemistic slang but can also be very offensive.
- Example: Raymond is acting weird again. He definitely has some screw loose.
- (Adjective) Slang for crazy or lunatic. In fact, lunatic is the root word of this slang.
- Example: Kevin Garnett was so intense and scary back in the day that you might think he was loony.
Off The Wall
- (Adjective) Northern American slang for a person or object that is unique, unconventional, or eccentric. This slang originates from a variety of sports including racquetball and handball.
- Example: With all of his quirks, she is truly someone who is off the wall.
- (Adjective) Something that is unbelievable or weirdly funny.
- Example: That’s rich! You actually tore your pants while playing hopscotch?
- (Adjective) A state of euphoria, confusion, and weirdness akin to one being under the influence of LSD.
- Example: I woke up from a sixteen-hour nap. It was trippy and funny but the headache that comes after is legit.
- (Adjective) Comes from the old English term “thwacked.” It is a slang term that describes something that is strange or stupid.
- Example: That dude is wacked. It might not be good to befriend him so be cautious.