Zebras are unique and majestic. Originally from Africa, we have known to them as characters in animated films, in zoos, as well as in well-loved alphabet books as the word that has the letter "z.". Get to know them more with the slang terms below.
Slang Words for Zebras (in Alphabetical Order)
- (Noun) The black and white colors on the zebra’s skin mean a lot of things for African cultures, among them balance.
- Example: The black and white prints on zebras symbolize balance for some African tribes.
- (Verb) To hide by blending to one’s surroundings.
- Example: Many theories propose that the reason why zebras have distinct skin patterns is for them to camouflage in the wild.
- (Noun) A group of zebras is called a dazzle.
- Example: The visitors were lucky because there was a dazzle of zebras in the area. They had a blast snapping pictures of them.
- (Adjective) When natural resources decline in number, they are referred as endangered.
- Example: Zebras are an endangered species. They need protection from poachers.
- (Noun) “Fauna” is the Latin word for animal. Today, the word is typically used as a collective term for a place's animals.
- Example: Zebras are one of the most important members of the African fauna.
- (Noun) A young zebra.
- Example: A cute foal was spotted near a bigger zebra.
- (Noun) This is where the zebras live.
- Example: Explorers roam around the grasslands in search for zebras in the wild.
- (Noun) Animals that feed on grasses on fields.
- Example: Zebras are grazers. They would just eat any low-lying grass on the ground.
- (Adjective) To be horse-like is to have similarities with a horse.
- Example: Zebras are horse-like creatures except for the printed skin. They eat grass and run fast.
- (Noun) Things that trick the senses into perceiving or sensing something that is actually is not.
- Example: The body prints of zebras were the inspiration for the black and white optical illusions you commonly see.
- (Noun) A female zebra.
- Example: The mare gave birth to a healthy foal.
- (Adjective) Animals that only have one toe.
- Example: Zebras are single-hoofed creatures. This is why they run so fast..
- (Noun) Animals are called spirit animals when they have qualities that can be inspiring or worth emulating among humans. Zebras are believed to have these qualities.
- Example: Because of their unique features and fast movements, zebras are often called spirit animals by people who refer to themselves as wild and free.
- (Noun) A male zebra.
- Example: Stallions usually gather together in groups when searching for mares.
- (Noun) The slang term for the zebra’s prints on its skin.
- Example: The zebra’s stripes are highly valued in the black market.