Are you wondering what DM means in texting? We have good news for you, you’re at the right place! We’re going to explain what it means and provide you with some examples of how to use it…
What does DM Mean in Texting?
DM is an acronym for “direct message”. It originated from Twitter, where the act of sending someone a private message is called a direct message. Naturally, people shortened it to DM, just to have an easier time typing it.
Nowadays it refers to private messages on many different forms of social media, most notably on Instagram. You probably heard the phrase “to slide into someone’s DM”. Well, it simply means to send someone a private message on Instagram.
It can also mean a few other things, but it would be rare to see them used this way…
- Dungeon master
- Dear mother
- Depeche Mode
Examples of DM in Text Slang
- Peter – Hey, I was wondering if I could maybe get your phone number?
- Mary Jane – Easy tiger, why don’t you hit me up via DM first…
- Bruce – Hey, hope you didn’t forget about our date this weekend?
- Selina – No worries, I didn’t, I’ll DM you when I’m available.
- Tony – Wait, so he sent you a message out of the blue, just like that?
- Pepper – Yup, he slid into my DMs!