Do you want to know what a hashtag means in texting? Well, we will answer that question for you right here, just keep on reading. We’re going to explain what it means and provide you with some examples of how to use it…
What does Hashtag Mean in Texting?
In texting, a hashtag (usually the symbol #, but can also be used as a word) is used to signify a topic you are talking about, or to add a specific feeling that relates to the topic. It originated on Twitter but spread all over the Internet quickly. For example, if you have something to say about women’s rights, after your message you can write #womensrights, or simply hashtag women’s rights, which is a wittier version of the symbol.
It can also mean a few other things, but it would be rare to see them used this way…
- The pound sign
- The number sign
- The octothorpe
Examples of Hashtag in Text Slang
- Lizzie – Did you watch the new Dune movie? Hashtag perfection
- Randy – Not yet, but I heard that it’s good.
- Brandon – So my mom won’t let me go on our trip #unfair
- David – Damn, that’s rough.
- Heather – I just listened to the new Vince Staples album and I love it! #amazingalbums
- Tina – Cool, I’ll give it a listen.