Nothing worse than working or being with a stupid person. They might hinder you or, at the very least, annoy you. While you might have the patience to deal with them, you sometimes can’t help yourself and just lash out hard. You might be running out of creative ways to say stupid to someone so here are some British slang words just for that. Enjoy reading!
British Slang For Stupid Person (in Alphabetical Order)
- (Noun) This is mostly derogatory but sometimes endearing slang substitutes the words “fool” and “idiot.” It comes from the shortening of Berkeley Hunt. Furthermore, it is Cockney rhyming slang for “cunt” so be careful when using it.
- Example: You’re an old berk. You make mistakes but we will always be there for you.
- (Noun) A British and Australian slang that describes a silly and foolish person.
- Example: You were Charlie at the party. Everyone was laughing at your antics.
- (Noun) While it may mean merry in Scotland, this British slang has been used to point to a foolish person, like Charlie.
- Example: You might be a tad bit daft but a college is a place where you can reinvent yourself.
- (Noun) In the UK, when you say a person is a “dipstick,” you are implying that they are of lower or inferior intellect.
- Example: My dog is a bit of a dipstick. He is lovable but all of his actions dumbfounded me.
- (Noun) A humorous way of calling a person foolish or idiotic, especially if you are friends in the UK.
- Example: My pal is a bit of a divvy. He might make you laugh but he might also leave you scratching your heads.
- (Noun) This English term originally meant someone sleepy or half-awake. When you are in that state, you may be very idiotic. This is the reason why it is used as slang for stupid people.
- Example: The anesthetic hasn’t worn off and I’m still acting like a dozy.
- (Noun) In Scottish and Irish areas, you might encounter this slang. Worry not as it is simply referring to “idiot.” Even the pronunciation is almost the same.
- Example: You are an eejit! Why would you place the sugar into the gas tank because of some Youtube challenge?
- (Noun) This Irish slang is something that should not be said easily towards people. It is vulgar slang that blatantly calls a person incompetent and idiotic.
- Example: Gobshite! I never should have trusted you with these files.
- (Noun) Potentially derived from bollocks, this UK slang is simply a stupid person.
- Example: You pillock! You shouldn’t mix the laundry! Everything will get ruined.
- (Noun) An idiot. In British terms, when you are a plank, you are a piece of wood without any proper thinking capacity.
- Example: I think Gordon Ramsey always calls someone a plank in each episode.
- (Noun) When used in Britain, a thicko refers to a person that is slow in understanding and acting.
- Example: Thickos, like myself, are always dense and find it hard to comprehend stuff. Please have patience with me.
- (Noun) An insulting British slang that is arguably one of the more popular slang words to come out of the UK. It is a taunt that refers to a fool.
- Example: You Twit! You were so busy with your phone that you forgot about the chicken!