Weirdness is very subjective, but sometimes, we need certain words to express this awe or confusion about some things we recognize to be too different. If you’re looking for British slang words for weird, you have come to the right place.
British Slang For Weird (in Alphabetical Order)
- (Adjective) Used often in Australia and New Zealand, this Commonwealth slang is an affectionate term for a person that is weird, unfashionable, or without self-consciousness.
- Example: He is quite daggy but he is so sweet when it comes to the little things.
- (Adjective) This chiefly Scottish slang refers to an odd or oddly-mannered person.
- Example: You better stay away from that man. He is so glaik.
- (Adjective) An eccentric or crazy person. This British slang is very popular in use and comes from the slang “nut.”
- Example: They say that Houdini was a nutter because of his death-defying stunts.
- (Adjective) Another way of saying that someone is very weird. Most usage of this slang is very polite or affectionate.
- Example: She is my odd bod. She is fascinating and quirky.
- (Adjective) This slang may mean many things but some British people use this term to describe something unique, weird, or infrequent.
- Example: This artwork is one-off. It is so weird that it becomes mysterious.
- (Noun) While no longer politically correct or of heavy use, this British slang was once used to describe a mad or weird individual.
- Example: You’re a queer fish! You might be odd but you have a beautiful mind.
- (Noun) Another archaic term that combines “queer” and “weirdo.” This somewhat politically incorrect term has been used for weird people in the UK.
- Example: Queerdos must not be judged based on their actions. They just have a unique mindset.
- (Adjective) An older slang in the UK that means strange or weird.
- Example: The event seems like a rum without the bands. The music right now seems bland.
- (Noun) With relation to “rum,” a rum customer refers to a specific person that has some weird energy or odd thinking.
- Example: People that live in the woods are rum customers. I can’t imagine a life without WiFi.
- (Adjective) A foolish or eccentric person in the UK.
- Example: Don’t be yampy tonight. Control your urges until the guests leave.